Sunday, October 28, 2012

Highlights from Week 2

This week was so much easier. Planning ahead makes such a difference. Almost all my meals were planned and I only had to go grocery shopping once this week. My budget went down about $30 and I wasn't fighting horrible cravings. Except at the Synapse Halloween Party. Whoever brought the pizza and cornbread is gonna get a smackdown.

1. I made my own pizza. It was freaking amazing. Here is the recipe. Make it now.

This crust is heavenly. You use it to make bread, too!

In a bowl, combine 2 Cups of Almond Flour, 1 Cup of Arrowroot Powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon oregeno, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper. Mix. Add 3 eggs and 1/2 a cup of coconut milk. Stir together and spread on a greased cooking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

For your pizza, add any toppings you'd like. I added organic pizza sauce, some farmer's goat cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and grassfed beef. Then I re-baked everything for about 10 more minutes. Jimmy could only eat half of it, and I've seen him eat an entire Whole Foods pizza in one sitting. I had 2 (large) slices and saved the rest for lunch (ended up being breakfast because it was so good).

2. Sweet Potato/Pumpkin Soup

Here's the link to the recipe I used: http://fastpaleo.com/pumpkin-soup/
I added 2 tbs of bacon fat and about 6 strips of cooked, chopped bacon. It made all the difference in the world.

3. Antelope/Beef Meat Balls: FAST and EASY!!!

I took 1 lb Antelope and 1 lb grassfed beef, combined them in a bowl with chopped celery, onions, garlic, almond meal, and 3 eggs, and made this beautiful meat concoction. I rolled them into balls and pan fried them in grapeseed oil.  I served them with mixed greens, sheepmilk feta cheese, heirloom tomatoes, chopped apples, and a dressing I made with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also had enough meatballs for a few days after.

Heirloom tomatoes are my favorite right now. So beautiful and different tasting! Also, I dipped these meatballs in Harry's BBQ Sauce (found at Kaiser Farmers Market). Perfection.

4. Ribs. 

Those weird yellow things are apples. 
I screwed these ones up y'all. I put them in the slow cooker in the morning and it never got hot. So by the time I got home from work, I had lukewarm meat. GROSS. Luckily, Jimmy is a genius.

I put the ribs in a glass dish with chopped apples, salt, pepper, garlic, and some tuscan olive oil and baked those puppies for about 2 1/2 hours (while I went to the gym) at 250 degrees. When I got home, the house smelled like meat heaven.

Just for kicks, I sauteed some kale, beets, sweet potatoes, and carrots in raw cinammon honey and dipped my ribs in Harry's BBQ sauce. This stuff was so good that Jimmy, Dan and I finished the entire thing that night. Anyone who says grassfed is no different from grain-fed hasn't eaten these ribs.

This was about the time when I realized I was starting to have some fun with this stuff. Look at those colors! This meal was so easy and so good; there's no reason not to continue this.


5. Getting past the detox. 

Some of you guys may have known that as the first week drew to a close, I was having some hard times with this. My body was completely detoxing. My hair got really oily, my face was breaking out everywhere, I was (am) even a little bit more emotional than usual. Jimmy tells me this is normal, that I'm detoxing. Things are looking up though. It's about 2 weeks in, and I'm STARTING to feel a little bit back to normal. At least my face isn't as ugly.

I have noticed other changes. I worked out 5 days in a row this week which I haven't done in months, even while working 2 jobs and coaching when necessary. My energy is starting to go up. My workouts are getting faster. I've lost a little bit of fat. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

I'll leave you with this egg bake that saved my life this week. I ate it literally all week. All it contains are 5 eggs, farmer's goat cheese, 1/2 cup coconut milk, kale, onions, peppers, and sauteed sausage baked in a casserole for about 35 minutes.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment