Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week 1 Highlights

Top 3 things I've learned this week:

1. Bacon makes everything better. 

Whole Foods Pork is from Dubertown, Canada, where all their pigs are pasture raised. This means they have stress-free, freedom filled lives. They aren't solely grass fed; they eat a mixed diet of barley and other grains. Everything they are fed is organic (not that this means it's safe, but it's a start). With this knowledge, I've felt relatively safe purchasing Whole Foods pork, and I bought (and ate) about a full pound this week. My favorite is their coffee bacon, which has ground coffee on the pork. Perfect for breakfast.

This photo depicts bacon, brussel sprouts, caramelized onions and apple pears stir-fried. There's not even any seasoning on this amazingness.

2. Organic food is way more expensive than chemicals.

Last Sunday I went grocery shopping and spent a little over $100. This did not last me through the week. Apparently, I eat a LOT, or at least often. Prepared foods are hopeless. Even at whole foods the prepared foods have so many unhealthy things added (canola oil, sugar, flour...) that it's healthier and more beneficial to cook, and unfortunately, that runs up the bill. This week in total I spent about $150. My goal is to beat that next week with more foods prepared in advance and capitalizing on sales (Tip: Whole foods is having a 3 day grass-fed beef sale this weekend...better jump on it!). Despite budgeting and the planning I was able to do this week, organic foods simply cost more, and it's taken some will power to stick with it. 

My roommate looked inside our fridge when I was done putting everything away last week and said "What! It looks like a goddamn vegetable garden in here!" Sweet!



3. This week was really hard. 

Scramble of kale, carrots, onions, eggs, and bacon
Eating clean takes the convenience factor of food away. You cannot rely on other people. You have to ask questions. You have to cook. You have to plan ahead. And you really have to make it a priority.

Last night I wanted a pizza so much I was about to kill someone.  I was tired. It was Friday. There were so many excuses to give. But when it comes down to it, the reason I'm doing this is because it is really, REALLY important.  I want to know what it means to eat real food, to not be a slave to the industrialized food industry, to cast my vote for organic, healthy food every time i make a purchase.

I am still making mistakes as well- I haven't found a truly organic shampoo/conditioner (my hair is all f-ed up), and I haven't bought natural deodorant yet.  I'm buying too many prepared foods, and I didn't find out my chicken was safe this week until after I'd bought it (FYI- Whole Foods chicken is all Mary's Chicken, which are all pasture raised). Next week I'll be preparing more by shopping the sales and cooking in my (Jimmy's) crockpot. I can only hope that I continue to improve, cook more adventurously, and maintain my motivation. Help a girl out and stop drinking beer in front of her. Chances are, I really want it.

Best Product/Recipe/Resources Finds:
Coffee Bacon from Whole Foods
Vital Farms Pasture Raised Eggs
Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake
LA Area Farmers Markets
The Healthy Skeptic

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to expedite my weight loss by eating cleaner, organic foods. I too have been crushed by the Whole Foods register, especially when it comes to the quality of meat that I buy. I think I spent about $100 for a single bag of groceries last week. I have not quite dedicated myself quite as much as you, but I know I go to bed satiated and don't wake up starving when it's time to go train, so at least that benefit is working. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete